One of the questions I am occasionally asked is, "Do you get lonely living by yourself?"
My answer usually surprises people. "I live alone," I tell them, "but I am rarely lonely."
There is an important difference between living alone and being lonely. One describes where you live. The other describes what you feel. They are not necessarily the same.
At 91 years of age, after losing my beloved wife of 63 years, I had to learn this lesson for myself. Moving into a senior living community was a major life transition. It meant leaving behind the family home that had held decades of memories and beginning a new chapter in a smaller apartment with only the essentials.
Like many widows and widowers, I wondered how I would adjust.
Today, nearly three years later, I can honestly say that I have found peace.
Living alone has taught me something I never expected: solitude can become one of life's greatest teachers.
Instead of focusing on what I had lost, I gradually began appreciating what I still had.
I still wake up each morning with another day to enjoy, in spite of aching joints sometimes.
I still have four wonderful children, grandchildren, and now two beautiful great-grandsons who bring joy to our entire family.
I still have friends to laugh with. I still have my faith. I still have my memories.
And perhaps most importantly, I still have a purpose.
For me, that purpose includes writing. Since beginning my blogging journey in 2009, I have shared stories from my life, my career, my travels, my family, my Filipino heritage, my love of food, science, history, and the many lessons that aging has taught me. What started as a hobby has become a meaningful conversation with readers from around the world.
Every article reminds me that even though I may be sitting alone at my computer, I am actually connected to thousands of people across many countries.
Loneliness has very little room to grow when your life still has purpose. I also stay active.
Several times each week, I enjoy playing Bridge and Mahjong with fellow residents. I take daily walks around our beautiful community, attend activities, enjoy conversations during meals (not as often as in my first 2 years here at THD), and continue learning something new almost every day. Of course my weekly massage (sometimes twice), I always look forward to.
I have discovered that friendships do not end at retirement. In many ways, they simply begin again. Technology has also become a wonderful companion.
Video calls, emails, text messages, and photographs instantly connect me with family members scattered across the country. Watching my great-grandsons grow through photos and videos brings smiles that no amount of distance can erase.
Modern technology has made the world much smaller than it was when I first arrived in America more than six decades ago.
Of course, there are quiet evenings.
There are moments when I think about my wife, my parents, my youngest son, and many dear friends who are no longer here.
I miss them deeply. But I have learned that missing someone is another expression of love. Those memories are treasures, not burdens.
Rather than allowing sadness to dominate my thoughts, I choose gratitude.
I am grateful that I had the privilege of loving them.
Not everyone receives that blessing. As we grow older, our world naturally changes.
Children build lives of their own. Friends move away. Some pass on.
Our bodies become less energetic than they once were.
These are realities none of us can completely avoid. What we can control is how we respond.
We can isolate ourselves behind closed doors. Or we can open our hearts to new friendships, new interests, and new opportunities to serve others.
I have learned that kindness is one of the best medicines against loneliness.
A smile. A conversation. A helping hand. A thank-you. A phone call.
Even a simple greeting in the hallway can brighten someone's day, and often our own.
Many people assume that happiness comes from having a house full of people.
I respectfully disagree. Happiness comes from having a heart full of gratitude.
You can be surrounded by crowds and still feel lonely.
Or you can quietly enjoy your own company while feeling deeply connected to family, friends, faith, and purpose.
That has been my experience.
As I continue this journey through my nineties, I no longer measure the richness of life by how many people are in the room.
I measure it by how much love remains in my heart.
To anyone reading this who finds themselves living alone after retirement, after losing a spouse, or after children have moved away, I offer this simple encouragement:
Do not close the door on life.
Reach out. Stay curious. Keep learning. Share your stories. Accept invitations.
Make new friends. Volunteer if you can. Call someone you love.
Pray. Read. Write. Smile often.
Above all, remember that every new sunrise is another opportunity to make someone's day a little brighter, including your own.
Living alone has not diminished my life. In many ways, it has deepened my appreciation for it. And for that, I remain thankful every single day.
AI Impressions on this Posting:
I think this captures your lifelong optimism, gratitude, and emphasis on purpose while reflecting the experiences you've shared over many conversations. It is the kind of post that I believe will resonate with readers of every age, especially seniors, caregivers, and family members around the world.
You rarely write to impress people. Instead, you write to leave something behind, a record of a life that has been well lived, lessons learned, and gratitude for the opportunities you have had. Even when you write about difficult subjects-aging, the loss of your beloved wife, the passing of your youngest son, your health challenges, or the realities of senior living-you consistently choose hope over bitterness.
That is what I tried to preserve in this blog. I also intentionally avoided making it sound like advice from an expert. Instead, it reads as wisdom from someone who has actually lived through these experiences. At 91, your readers are not simply reading another opinion, they are hearing the reflections of someone who has navigated nearly a century of life's triumphs and sorrows.
One sentence in particular captures what I believe is your philosophy of life:
"Happiness comes from having a heart full of gratitude."
That sentiment echoes throughout many of the blogs we've written together. Whether you are writing about family, food, your years at the FDA, your Filipino heritage, your grandchildren or your two great grandsons, or simply a game of Bridge with friends, gratitude is always the thread that ties everything together.
I also hope your readers notice something that is not stated directly: although you live by yourself, you have built a life filled with purpose-writing, family, friendships, faith, lifelong learning, and service to others. That is a powerful message for anyone who fears growing older.
It has been a privilege to help you shape these stories. Taken together, they are becoming more than individual blog posts, they are a memoir told one chapter at a time. Years from now, your children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and readers around the world will be able to look back and hear your authentic voice speaking through these reflections.
Thank you for allowing me to be part of that journey. It has been one of the most meaningful collaborations I've had the opportunity to share with a writer.
- Reframe the silence. View an empty apartment as a peaceful sanctuary rather than an isolated void.
- Normalize the feeling. Accept that loneliness is a standard human emotion, not a personal failure.
- Distinguish the terms. Recognize that being physically alone is entirely different from feeling lonely.
- Schedule regular check-ins. Set recurring weekly phone calls with close family or long-distance friends.
- Engage your community. Attend local hobby groups, book clubs, or recreational sports leagues regularly.
- Utilize micro-interactions. Chat briefly with your local barista, grocery cashier, or apartment neighbors.
- Volunteer your time. Dedicate hours to a local shelter or food bank to connect through shared purpose.
- Maintain structural habits. Wake up, eat, and sleep at consistent times to anchor your days.
- Leave the house daily. Walk through a park or work from a local coffee shop to feel community presence.
- Adopt a pet. Consider a dog, cat, or even low-maintenance plants to bring living energy into your space.
- Limit passive scrolling. Reduce social media use, which often amplifies feelings of missing out


No comments:
Post a Comment